Thursday, July 24, 2008

Baby Watch 2008

Week 39

So here I am, week 39 and still pregnant. Why am I not surprised? I had an OB appointment Tuesday and got one of my favorite doctors. Unfortunately she didn’t have anything real exciting to tell me. I walked in with hope, but the minute she came into the room I just knew that I shouldn’t have had such high expectations.

Apparently my cervix is still thick and hard, which is the opposite of what I was told last week by the asshole doctor. I’m only 1cm dilated and the baby’s head is at a -2 station. The good news is that he’s definitely dropped a bit, but not enough for me to think that I’ll be in labor in the next 24 hours. Damnit! If I’m early, it would only be by a day or two. She had me schedule my 40 week appointment, which falls 2 days after my due date. Let’s hope I don’t have to show up for that one.

The baby and I have been a bit sluggish lately. I’m really tired and he’s not moving much, but at night or after I eat. The doctor told me that since he’s dropped I should be able to breathe and function better. Um, nope! I haven’t had trouble breathing throughout the pregnancy and I’m even more uncomfortable now. The only thing that’s better for me these days is sex. It’s very well deserved and about damn time! At least that’s something, right?

I believe that getting my cervix checked helped dislodge more of my plug. I took a nap yesterday then went to the bathroom to find more of it coupled with a bloody show and hay colored leakage. Sweet! Isn’t it amazing how excited a woman can get when disgusting stuff comes out of her vagina at the end of pregnancy? Believe me, this will be the only time I will be happy about bizarre discharge.

On the labor symptoms front, I’ve been getting a ton of painless contractions, severe gas and pains, psychotically frequent urination, slight menstrual cramps and pressure south of the border, front and back. When I go to the bathroom, all I want to do is push out something, but there‘s nothing there. These symptoms fall under the pre-labor category, so great. At least I know there’s action, even if it’s going at a snail’s pace.

Dave is getting sick of waiting too. He’s wanting to have a full two weeks off of work to be with us, but that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. He is changing positions at work and has to go in for a week of training starting August 4th, right after the baby is supposed to come. It’s looking like he’s going to have to split his vacation. Off one week, work the next and off again for another week. What a bummer. The girls are going away with their mother for two weeks starting July 28th and he’s hoping that the baby will come before they go so that they can see their new brother.

My lovely boyfriend went through the “Baby Watch 2008” protocol with his parents the other day, lol. Yes, BW 2008 is what he’s calling our emotional rollercoaster. Anyway, we have our plans set and his parents have permission to pick up the girls at daycare and camp in case my labor begins during the day. I’m honestly hoping for labor to occur during the day vs. the middle of night, but I shouldn’t count on that one. I’m also hoping that my original prediction for baby hyphenate’s birthday will be July 24th, but again, I shouldn’t really believe that’s going to happen either. No need to set myself up for another disappointment.

As of right now I’ve got my shit together for when the baby comes. I’ve washed everything and disinfected the binkies and nipples. Dave and the girls have done an excellent job of keeping the house pretty clean, which really helps me a lot. I still feel like I want to clean and I probably will, but I plan to work as much as I can until this baby comes.

July 24th

Ok, so we’re at the 24th and of course, nothing as of right now. I’m giving up hope and totally letting go of the possibility that this kid will come. Maybe that will induce labor since walking, running up and down the stairs and sex isn’t doing jack shit.

No comments: