Saturday, October 4, 2008

Letting Go - 9 Weeks

I just got back from Michigan after attending a baby's funeral. My friend Dawn, who I wrote about back when I was about 21/22 weeks pregnant, lost her son Bradly on Friday, September 26th. He was only 4 weeks old. The showing was on Monday, the funeral was Tuesday and it was AWFUL. I am heartbroken for Dawn, Brian and their family.

We found out that he had a major issue back when she was 17 weeks pregnant, but had hope for his survival after he would have surgery and time in the NICU. He was born 4 weeks after Angelo and weighed 8lbs, 14 ounces. His surgery was a few days later and went well, however, he was stuck on ventilators the entire time. He passed away in his mother's arms 25 minutes after removing him from the machines. That was the only time she could hold her son.

I came back from Michigan on Wednesday very depressed. Every time I looked at Angelo I would tear up. I'm so grateful that my son is healthy and growing beautifully every day, but angry that my friend, who would've been an excellent mother to Bradly, was denied physical motherhood not once, but TWICE. She had a miscarriage at 9 weeks when she was married back in 2004. I'm angry because there are so many mothers out there who could care less about their children and treat them poorly. I had a friend who is like that and of course, she's no longer in my life. It makes me sick. I'm working on letting go of my pain and anger so that Angelo doesn't pick up on it.

Angelo is now 9 weeks old. He's the love of my life and I am making sure he knows it every day. He's getting so big and now he's wearing mostly 3 month size outfits. He can still wear some 0-3 mos, but only if they run big. He's still eating, farting and sleeping like a champ! He's also doing well in the mimicking department and he's got the "O's" down. I'm working on the "Ah's" now. He's smiling a lot, but I still can't get him to giggle enough.

My bubbas is eating rice cereal a few times a week and a 6 ounce bottle every couple of hours. My doctor told me that I can give him the cereal whenever I want, so I think I will increase it to once a day. I don't want to overwhelm his little digestive system with solids too quickly. He LOVES the cereal, man. It's funny to watch him eat it up.

The only problem we're having at this time is that Angelo doesn't like his car seat anymore. He is fine for the first 5-10 mins in the car, but starts screaming soon after. Once we get him out of it, he's a happy camper. I'm really bummed about that. My 4 hr drive (one way) to Michigan was hell. He only slept for 30 mins. I wish there was a way I could change that. I knew eventually I'd have an issue with something since he's been so perfect for 7 1/2 weeks.

Angelo's sleep schedule got messed up due to the trip and he wasn't able to take all his naps. He gets a morning nap around 9am-12pm, an afternoon nap from 2pm-4/5pm and goes to bed around 10pm then wakes up at 7am. He's been going to bed earlier since I came home and that was around 8:30/9pm and still slept until 7am. I'm hoping that he'll be back to his old ways tomorrow.

That's all for now. I'll be posting new pictures soon!

No comments: